Friday 17 June 2011

Cafe Cassadiva - Pikelets

Welcome to Cafe Cassadiva!

On the menu today.... Pikelets


This trusty old favourite is always a winner, especially when served with delcious strawberry jam and cream :)  I love this recipe, it is the recipe that my primary school tuckshop used. My Mum wrote it on a tuckshop bag one day when she was volunteering in the tuckshop, and it has been a family favourite for  many years now.  Back in the good old days, I would order a CD-sized pikelet with jam for just 10 cents!  Mmmm.... I still remember how good they tasted!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients
1 cup self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
5 tsp sugar
salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 tsp softened margarine
Melted butter, to brush pan
Butter, jam & cream, to serve

Method
1. Sift flour, sugar and baking soda together into a bowl with a pinch of salt.
2.  Whisk 3/4 cup milk, margarine and egg together, then add to dry ingredients, whisking until smooth. Add remaining milk, if thinner batter is desired.
3.  Heat a non-stick frypan over medium heat and brush with a little melted butter.
4.  Drop level tablespoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and cook for half a minute or until bubbles appear on the surface.

5.  Turn over and cook other side for 1 minute until golden.

6.  Allow to cool and serve with butter, jam and cream.

Makes 25 small pikelets

I find using a pastry brush to paint the pan with butter is much better than just dropping in a blob of butter, having it hiss and splatter everywhere, meanwhile making your pikelets too greasy.  This is a great solution!  My Tupperware pastry brush is heat-proof, so it can withstand the hot temperature of a frying pan.

I also have a mini-ladel (also from Tupperware - no, I am not a dealer, I just LOVE the stuff!), which I use to make even sized pikelets.  The ladel is also great because I can hook it onto the side of the bowl, in between batches.  This stops all of the drips! 


You can download a printable version of the recipe here.

You will notice that I include a 'Notes' section on my recipes.  This is where I write myself notes after I cook something.  In this case, I wrote down the ideal temperature to keep the stove at, and the note about the ladel.  I am no super-woman and can't remember all of the little details that help to make the recipe a success.  It is also useful to add in changes to quantities, suggestions for altered cooking times, etc.  I find it really helpful next time I pull out the recipe!

Bon Appetit!



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummmmm I'll add it to my collection! Thanks Cass!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...