Thursday 23 June 2011

Decluttering Your Wardrobe

We all find it hard to part with our old clothes - we always think we just may need them down the track ;)  Well, today I have a great tip to help you to declutter your wardrobe - and you don't even have to throw a thing out today! 

All you have to do is turn all of the hangers in your wardrobe around the wrong way.  Yep, that's it!



Then, everytime you wear something and hang it back in the closet, put the coathanger back in the right way.  This means that this item is something that you still wear and probably should keep. 


Within a few weeks, you begin to see the clothes that you are not touching, as the coathangers are still hanging backwards.  By the end of the season, you can see which clothes you didn't wear once - hopefully this will help you to make the decision to 'bless someone else' with your clothes by donating them to charity.

I turned all of the coathangers around in my husband's T-shirt rack a couple of months back.  This is a snippet of how many shirts he hasn't worn.  Next time we do a declutter, these are the first items I will pull out - and the direction of the coathanger proves just how long the shirts have been hanging untouched in the cupboard! 



Thinking back, I wish that I have had written the date on the calendar that I turned it all around, so that we know exactly how long it has been.  So, today I wrote myself a reminder for the end of August.  I think that will be a good time to check back in, as it is the turn of the season.  I will let you know how it goes!



It really helps to make the big decision of whether to give away or not when you prove to yourself (or your family) that the item just hasn't been worn and in reality, will it be worn anytime soon??  We all know the answer is no :)

I am sure you all know the old saying - if in doubt, throw out!
Happy decluttering...

2 comments:

Dean and Eva said...

Oh I love this idea! I have so much trouble parting with clothes when I decide to declutter and I never manage to get rid of as many items I think I will as I regularly talk myself in to keeping an item, even when I know I don't wear it. Half the time I just end up retidying the cupboard :) I think this idea is great and I see a much larger 'donation' bag in my future!

Cassadiva said...

Me too! I am going to do all of my work clothes when I start back next term - then do the declutter at the end of the term :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...