Thursday 16 June 2011

I love Rubbish Day!

Yes, that's right.  Friday is our Rubbish Day and it would have to be my favourite morning of the week!

In my Happy Heart post I discussed the huge role that your attitude plays in daily life.  I experience the wonder of this every Friday...


I am lucky enough to live on 2 acres of beautiful land.  Our driveway is 100 metres long.  I used to think this was a BIG pain when it came to putting out the bins for rubbish collection.  Hauling a heavy bin up a hill was not my idea of fun when I was racing off to work, especially if it was raining :(  More often than not, I would hook the bin onto my towball and tow it up behind my car as I left for work.  One day the bin even fell off when I hit a pothole and rubbish went everywhere!


Then one day as I walked up the driveway, I looked around me.  I could seee the sun rising over the hill, the sky filled with colours of pink, purple and orange. As I walked past our dam, I saw the little spot that we got married almost 5 years ago, which holds such a special place in my heart.  I saw the flock of my darling ducks perched along the rock wall of the dam, that my husband moved tonnes of sandstone rocks to build by hand.  I saw the water hens paddling in the water, their blue breast shimmering in the sunlight.  I saw a wallaby grazing on the lawn, her little joey's head peeking out of her pouch.   I saw flowers blooming and branches swaying in the breeze.  I could hear birds singing and I could smell the fresh morning air.  I looked beside me to my gorgeous husband, who always holds my hand on the way back down the driveway as we walk back to the house in our pyjamas. 



Had I really been whingeing about experiencing this bliss?? Wow - what a wake-up call for me.  Yes, I was dragging a heavy, sometimes smelly bin up 100 metres of sloping driveway.  But all around me was the beauty of nature, the amazing home that I live in!  I am so very lucky to have this amazing front yard, and now every Friday morning I wake up and jump out of bed with a spring in my step.  Recently, I even got out the umbrella and walked up in the rain, just so that I could enjoy my Friday morning walk.



I choose to see the beauty in this weekly chore.  And the added bonus is that by Friday afternoon we have nice empty bins, ready to be filled with our rubbish for another week to come.  We are so lucky to have food scraps which represent our full bellies, clothes tags which represent my shopping sprees, tissues to wipe away our tears, and all of the other 'stuff' that we call trash.  All of the trash represents all of the blessings in our daily lives.

Next time you take out your rubbish, think about how lucky you are :)

3 comments:

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Hehe, except my husband's Pop who lives in the granny flat out back does the bins ;) But that does sound beautiful!

Cassandra said...

He he - you are lucky to have the help Alyce! xxx

Anonymous said...

Love your attitude - this post is beautiful. Thank you for sharing :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...